Since we wrote this post we didn't laze around. Check our latest announcement.
The Arquillian team is proud to announce the 1.0.0.Alpha1 release of the Arquillian Spacelift component!
For a long time we have struggled with using tools that are not easily available from the Java world. Things like the Android SDK, the PhantomJS driver binary, the chromedriver server binary, containers downloaded via complicated Maven commands and similar blobs.
While it is possible to download all this manually, we still need to configure the build system and set paths. All that extra work clutters the first time user experience with Arquillian.
Introducing: Arquillian Spacelift
Therefore, we’re resurrecting a proposal for a native platform extension, that could be consumed by extension creators. The overall goal is to create a solid platform that can handle all this extra cruft based on a metadata model.
- should be able to get an archive/binary from any external location
- should be able to cache archive/binary using maven coordinates in local repository, acting as cache
- should be able to handle different binaries per platform
- should be able to execute code after installation and before installation
- should be able to cache results – only first execution needs to do that
- should have access to arquillian.xml descriptor
- should be externally configurable (via arquillian.xml) – selected metadata could be overridden in arquillian.xml
- must log it’s progress, so it does not look stuck
- must be able to configure the workspace – the directory where platform related bits are extracted – so for instance Android SDK can be shared per multiple jobs
Based on these requirements we’re proud to welcome the Arquillian Spacelift extension as part of the Arquillian family. Alpha1 is out now, but follow this space for more as we move forward.
We hope that you’ll enjoy this new extension and look forward to hear your feedback in the community forums.
Interested in helping out? Come by the community development forums.
What is Arquillian?
Arquillian is open source software that empowers you to test JVM-based applications more effectively. Created to defend the software galaxy from bugs, Arquillian brings your test to the runtime so you can focus on testing your application's behavior rather than managing the runtime. Using Arquillian, you can develop a comprehensive suite of tests from the convenience of your IDE and run them in any IDE, build tool or continuous integration environment.
|Version||1.0.0.Alpha1 view tag|
|Released by||Karel Piwko|
Published artifacts org.arquillian.spacelift
- org.arquillian.spacelift » arquillian-spacelift-api jar javadoc pom
- org.arquillian.spacelift » arquillian-spacelift jar javadoc pom
- org.arquillian.spacelift » arquillian-spacelift-spi jar javadoc pom
Release notes and resolved issues 1
Initial release of Spacelift
- Feature Request
- ARQ-1625 - Create an extension to handle platform dependent code